I got hold of a very intriguing pipe:
Years of usage have left their marks. The pipe was battered, dirty, clogged. The cap was dislodged and the mouthpiece was missing.
Firstly, I fixed the most serious "injuries" on the pipe. I ground away the "scar" of a broken mustache. I smoothed out the battered places. Removed layers of dirt. On a few occasions, I restored the carvings.
I also decided to fix a defect in the original design. The cap (hat) did not fit properly on the head. I removed the hinge and deepened the mortice to minimise the gap. A new problem arose: it was necessary to adjust the slots in both the head and in the cap.
For comparison - the pipe with the newly fitted hinge:
Next point was the missing mouthpiece. I used ebonite. I bent the mouthpiece by two axes, because the shank curves out from the line of symmetry and thus the stem would deviate from the principal pipe axis.
The pipe was treated with several layers of hard oil.
The pipe is interesting because of the smart design of the air hole. The air enters the tobacco chamber through the nostrils.
This is what happened when I blew some smoke into the pipe: